I should update more, I just have limited free time and that usually goes on marathon sewing binges! At least this means I am never short of things to write about in my back catalogue. I have even got a book FULL of notes and thoughts of each piece I make, so I don’t forget (old age….)
I was going to post about these separately, but it may be easier to clump together:
I fell in love with the Aphrodite pattern from I AM patterns. Its simple, yet well structured, and I loved the option of adding a panel.
The pattern itself is amazing, I love that it came in a printed brown envelope, and the graphics are just divine. Its very neat and I am a sucker for a good layout. The large font paired with the simple illustration just works. The fact it is also printed in gold really sets it off. The pattern itself is just beautiful, If I ever made patterns myself, this is what I would set the bar at. The instructions were a simple concertinaed fold, each step taking up a section all separated by big thick line, French version on the reverse. As you can tell I am very passionate about good layouts and credit where credit is due for great design skills, simple isn’t always the easiest to pull off.
For my first attempt, I went ahead with a jersey crepe in black, Similar to the pictures on the web site, for a decent basic: After looking at the measurements I thought it best to add an inch or so as I am quite big and like my tees loose. OH WHAT A FLUFF THAT CAUSED. For some reason, I am not as fat as I always think i am and ended up added to much, this made the back opening bulged! The extra on the sides of the front panel was fine, the back just lost its shape a little. To redeem this, I folded the back yoke and chopped the extra inches off in the centre and sewed. With the bottom part, again folded it centre, but this time slowly tapered the extra out down to the hem, this gave me space for my bum and a slight flare to the hem. Overall it ended being a success after I made it a disaster, the opening in the back is narrower than it should be BUT i have some black lace that will now fit perfectly on to it.
Feeling a bit annoyed at myself after attempt no.1, a few days later I attempted it again. I decided to cut up an oversized tee I had made from a beautiful grey Roma I purchased in John Lewis and was unsuccessful. The Aphrodite is made of a lot of thin smaller pieces and is PERFECT for odds and scraps that I end up with. This time, I just added a cm around as I cut and the result was more successful, and only hugged my tummy a little bit. As you can see the gap in the back is much bigger than the previous one, I may have to wear a lace vest under this (instead of just a dodgy bra…apologies)
Since making both of these, I have worn them on several occasions, I tend to chuck them on over leggings and i am away. the back can easily be dressed down with a vest, or a bralette. (a vest is better as it hides my florescent white back!)
I cannot recommend this pattern enough, it is so easy and so satisfying to make. It is ridiculously quick to make, and cut as it is really just a series of squares. I am going to check out more from the guys at IAM patterns, and definitely tackle another in the future.
Don’t forget to add me to Instagram as I am a prolific uploader and ALL pieces are prieviewed on there before blog posts