Recently on one of my many stalks around Instagram I came across an amazing picture of a model wearing a horizontal striped dress. After some research I found that it was from ASOS, but no longer available. I had pined for previously, not being able to get my size I had looked elsewhere; I had seen one in Topshop a while back called a nautical stripe, despite it having long sleeves, it also had a pleated skirt and very low neckline. Not for me!
Seeing this picture reignited my want for a black and white striped skater dress, obviously after all this time I still had a hole in my wardrobe only it could fill, so I decided to make my own…
This wasn’t just one of my live and learn makes, I put some effort into sourcing exactly the right fabric and making proper plans for this particular garment. Luckily, I also had my over locker so i could make it almost perfect, and make it to last.
The fabric I bought was a great quality thin woven stripe from Tia Knight Fabrics. I have in the past bought many pieces from them and the have a lot of good fabrics, really worth checking out. A well laid out site.
Once happy with my fabric choice, I searched through my patterns for a skater, I went with the Colette Patterns: Moneta as it had no darts on the bust. I was really eager to pattern match the seams, so i didn’t want any interruption on the pattern. I think mismatched patterns are something that a lot of highstreet readymades do, and it does look mass produces and cheap. This piece had to match for my own OCD sanity ( or at least have a damm good attempt)
So how did it sew?…
It turned out perfect, and I love it! I elongated the sleeves so they feel over my hands, but can also be pushed back up, something I find lacking in store bought items. I also learnt how to do a blind hem on my overlocker, its a game changer and will use it ALL the time now as it is fantastic. I also rose the neckline as it was something I had noticed on my previous Monetas, I also ended up shortening the bodice quite a bit as well.
I didn’t use the Moneta Skirt pattern as it was curved, so I ditched it in favour of a more smock like rectangle skirt, gathered at the top and attached. This gave me more ruffles to play around with and ultimately I did chop a few off the ends so it wasn’t too bulky. Everything matched up on the side seams. Even the sleeve, although the lines don’t match onto the bodice, as the are going different directions to the bust, they are symmetrical to each other.
I had to narrow it as I overshot on my size, again, not as fat as I think I am, but I would rather it be too big than too small.
I absolutely love this dress, and to date it probably one of my fave makes. I feel that little extra thinking time and planning, and picking the perfect material really added to final result. I feel that this is how I will move forward with my sewing, gone are the days of learning and doing as much new stuff as I can, getting caught up in the excitement. I can now pour all that energy into making beautiful pieces, and still enjoy them.
Check out my instagram for up to date makes