I have had my eye on the Megan Neilsen patterns for a while, I have seen many makes pop up on my Instagram feed, but I finally took the plunge over Xmas with a 30% off. I got three patterns: The Sudley dress and top (of which I have completed the Dress) Darling Ranges and the New Karri Dress. Unfortunately I got so excited adding in all the Patterns, I forgot to add the MAKER tee too. Honestly, it wasn’t till a couple of days later that I realised! OH WELL, next time maybe.
I had seen that the sewing community had erupted into a frantic sewing frenzy of crushed Velvet, brought on by the festive season no doubt. I myself looked on longingly, I really wanted a red velvet dress, but HATED the reds I was seeing… The orange red is really not for me due to a combination of skin colour and my current fake hair colour. This was until I found the colour CRUSHED BERRY! Oh the pinky/purple hues were exactly what I was looking for, and one of my fave little fabric stores on Ebay had LOADS (check that out here)
Never one to shy away from a challenge, I decided to make this Dress Christmas Eve… to wear Christmas Day. We all joke about not making things the night before but we all do it! I had a bit of a fluff with the previous choice of Christmas me made dress, and had kind of given up wearing something special. I had been toying with the Idea of using the fabric for a Kimono, but I am so glad I picked the pattern up (although a kimono would have been much quicker)
So how did it Sew?
From pattern cut to complete, this took one evening, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The pattern itself is very user friendly, plus I love getting patterns with more than one option of what to make. I also adore the graphics on the front, I love the hand drawn feel and they are super cute. If I ever made a pattern, I would want something similar on the front.
I opted for the version with no collar and tie strings. THe pattern does recomend a hook and eye fastening as well as the tie. I recomend this, even though I had a lot of friction with my fabric, the tie still started to sag and slip open. It just saves you re-tying during the wear. I also went a bit rouge on the sleeves and added an elastic, i just prefer the look on me, but might not do thins on a more flowing light material.
I will definately be making this again, I am just going to hang out for the perfect material. I can see me making many cute summer/festival dresses with this pattern.
I can’t wait to try the other two patterns.