I had been lusting over 90’s button front swing dresses for a while now. Maybe because i remember them the first time around, so I want in on that trend again!
This dress had a few incarnations on paper, until I eventually settled on hacking a Luisa from Wear Lemonade. I dropped the separate yoke by tracing it into the dress front, I then slightly exaggerated the trapeze shape. The front had a V neck and button front, I simple added a few cementers to the front seam and added a strip of interfacing.
The fabric I used was from Girl Charlee, I bought it a while back and was being far to precious with using it ( I have several patterns to use still in the stash) It is still available to buy, you can check it out here. It is a lovely light jersey, and the Gothic cross pattern is so me. I am glad I used it for this dress as I know I will get a lot of wear out of it.
So how did it sew?
Completed: 15th December 2016
Its refreshing when making your own pattern, or hacking a previous pattern, you have the luxury of going rouge and not having to read a pattern. You kind of just do it as you go, and love every minute of it. The dress is very light, but I think this works with the exaggerated skirt part, it has a beautiful drape. I got so carried away with the make, i forgot i wanted to do double buttons all the way down and just done singles. It still turned out fine, a minor detail. I could have made this even easier on myself and made a faux button front, but I am glad it opens, as I might experiment with wearing it open… although i am lazy and just pull it on over my head rather than deal with buttons.
I am keeping the pattern, I am thinking about doing a floral version, with more tea dress like sleeves, definitely a summer wear.