Hamsa Pattern Tie Back Dress

I think the slight glimmer of sun in the English sky has prompted in me the need for summer clothing.

It started with seeing a few tie back items pop up whilst shopping and nosing through Instagram.  Then the idea of a dress started to form in my mind.  I have been stalking Motel rocks for inspo for a while now,I made my cross dress with them in mind; they really know how to do a good 90’s style dress and are pattern fabric experts.  Check them out, you will not be disappointed.

I also took sleeve inspo from Urban outfitters (see below)  I will also be trying to imitate the shape of that dress in future sews!

The fabric that spurned on this dress I picked up as a random splurge in my cheap shop in Watney market.  It was a bit dearer than the £1.10/£1.50 rolls, i think it was £2,75 per metre, which is still extremely cheap.  As it was a spur of the moment with no plans, I only got a couple of metres… for a dress with a repeating pattern of this size, it was a bit of a squeeze.  But with a bit of a juggle I managed it…

So How Did it Sew?

I actually drafted up a pattern for this AND made a Toille (just of the tie back bodice and arm to see if it works)  The Bodice was once a Moneta from Colette patterns, but has been traced and adjusted so much its barely a memory of it.  This really helped in positioning the tie to cover the Bra strap for summer.

Completed: 2nd March 2017

Only having two metres meant  I had to do a bit of manoeuvring because the sleeves with the tie attached as one piece were so large,  I ended up cutting them separate then attaching them after. It didn’t effect the final pattern as its not noticeable when tied.

As you can see from the photo, the pattern goes in different directions, but I don’t think this had really affected the overall piece.  This was a pretty simply make but OH MY GOODNESS the hemming…. everything needed hemming!  the ties, neck skirt… doesn’t sound like a lot but it really felt obscene.  I ran it through the over locker, then folded the hem and sewed.   Under the bottom tie is a zip to get in and out of with ease… I keep the top one done up, and just struggle to tie the one on the zip…. once its undone the top can be a bit unruly!

I can’t wait to wear this dress in the summer, its so light and is the right length for me and it’s not just another skater dress, it has a bit of something else.

 

 

 

 

Made By Me – Flower Dress

I am not completely out of touch with the current high street fashion, although it is everything I sew against! In fact it is where I get most of my inspiration from.  I regularly ‘shop’ without actually purchasing… maybe sometimes!

Since sewing, I have only bought a few items, most I have copied or resorted to copying because they didn’t have a plus size version.   And now I have become really Fussy with what I buy, Not saying that I have been blind to fast fashion before, I just have a lot more time and energy to invest in sewing it myself.  But when i do buy, it is usually something I can’t make, like a band tee or a vintage denim jacket.  Also, most recently i threw out all my old knickers and just bought multi packs from Primark… and some Pokemon socks… some things you just have to buy.

One thing i have seen is oversized low back jersey Dresses.  Mainly in Urban Outfitters and the likes, so I decided to make one.  This ended up being a Hack of a recent Hack (Hackception?)  I redrew the pattern from the cross dress, which was originally a Luisa from Wear lemonade, Just without the button front I added.

So How did It Sew?

Completed:  4th February 2017

For the back I cut the V much deeper than I did on the pattern,  and added a strip of fabric across the shoulders to hold it on. This I cut far too long, I had originally sewn it neatly into the binding, unfortunately it needed to be about a third of the size i measured.  It wasn’t as neat a finish as first attempt, but on its not noticeable. The string ended up sitting much higher than I thought.

I really buggered up the sleeve as well with a blind hem on the over locker.  But luckily I had cut the length ridiculously long and had more than enough to play with and not end up with 3/4 sleeves as I first feared.

The Fabric itself is from Girl Charlee, and had been in my stash quite a while before I finally paired it with this idea.

When I first tried it on I was unsure of the print, I though it made the garment look a little frumpy (keep in mind this was slipped on over my Pjs!)  Once dressed up with a pair of boots chucked on, it was much better.

One thing I am still debating is spraying it with bleach to give it a more contemporary feel (another thing I have seen done a lot on the high street) I love the rust colour tones you get from the process.  Unfortunately I have used all the fabric (only ordered a small amount and the trapeze skirt used up a lot) so I haven’t got any to mess up.

Oh well, I will have to see.

Oh and here is the very bad picture of the back, since that is the main feature of this dress:

20170212_180308_001