hack · Made By Me · My pattern · Patterns

Made By Me – Flower Dress

I am not completely out of touch with the current high street fashion, although it is everything I sew against! In fact it is where I get most of my inspiration from.  I regularly ‘shop’ without actually purchasing… maybe sometimes!

Since sewing, I have only bought a few items, most I have copied or resorted to copying because they didn’t have a plus size version.   And now I have become really Fussy with what I buy, Not saying that I have been blind to fast fashion before, I just have a lot more time and energy to invest in sewing it myself.  But when i do buy, it is usually something I can’t make, like a band tee or a vintage denim jacket.  Also, most recently i threw out all my old knickers and just bought multi packs from Primark… and some Pokemon socks… some things you just have to buy.

One thing i have seen is oversized low back jersey Dresses.  Mainly in Urban Outfitters and the likes, so I decided to make one.  This ended up being a Hack of a recent Hack (Hackception?)  I redrew the pattern from the cross dress, which was originally a Luisa from Wear lemonade, Just without the button front I added.

So How did It Sew?

Completed:  4th February 2017

For the back I cut the V much deeper than I did on the pattern,  and added a strip of fabric across the shoulders to hold it on. This I cut far too long, I had originally sewn it neatly into the binding, unfortunately it needed to be about a third of the size i measured.  It wasn’t as neat a finish as first attempt, but on its not noticeable. The string ended up sitting much higher than I thought.

I really buggered up the sleeve as well with a blind hem on the over locker.  But luckily I had cut the length ridiculously long and had more than enough to play with and not end up with 3/4 sleeves as I first feared.

The Fabric itself is from Girl Charlee, and had been in my stash quite a while before I finally paired it with this idea.

When I first tried it on I was unsure of the print, I though it made the garment look a little frumpy (keep in mind this was slipped on over my Pjs!)  Once dressed up with a pair of boots chucked on, it was much better.

One thing I am still debating is spraying it with bleach to give it a more contemporary feel (another thing I have seen done a lot on the high street) I love the rust colour tones you get from the process.  Unfortunately I have used all the fabric (only ordered a small amount and the trapeze skirt used up a lot) so I haven’t got any to mess up.

Oh well, I will have to see.

Oh and here is the very bad picture of the back, since that is the main feature of this dress:

20170212_180308_001

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s