I have often trowelled though the many Burda patterns online (since I have given up ever buying the mag as it is never in store) I was never overly impressed with their Plus Size range, until a few months back when they bought out a couple of collections that were extremely wearable, that tackled my frumpy view of Burda. I had to make one.
So I downloaded the Draped Sleeve Tunic (Plus Size) 06/2015 #130A (added a link because even after I downloaded it I found it impossible to find again)
How Beautiful is it! And also HOW WEARABLE for me!
As a seamstress who focuses on wear-ability of a pattern, I am getting a bit fed up of all the dresses I know I will wear only occasionally. Something like this will fit in with my everyday, oversized, slightly smarter than the slob around clothes (but still comfy) AND i could possibly leave the house in it wardrobe.
I decided to make it out of the bulk buy of white Jersey I had, for two reasons; a) I like the Idea of a wearable toille that I can try then maybe attempt in a beautiful mocha colour like the picture above and b) even though its knit, I can always attempt to dye it as it is white.
I like having options.
Something I would like to mention before we talk about the Sew, I have heard a lot of negatives about Burda Patterns; The actual pattern themselves as apposed to the final pieces. This is also something I considered when buying, and maybe why only now, with a bit more confidence level in sewing, that I have chosen to tackle my first Burda.
So How Did It Sew?
Date Completed: 3rd August 2017
The make itself is great, I love the Fit and style its very me… the only issue is the fabric was too thin and stretchy. Its kind of misshapen the piece.
The sleeves are driving me mad, looking at the above Burda picture, I am thinking this is again to do with my fabric choice. I tried to combat this by adding an elastic insert… but It failed and I just left it alone. Another me issue I had was getting the front panel caught in my overlocker. Honestly of all the pieces to get stuck, it had to be the front centre. After unpicking it was dotted with holes… I combated this simply by cutting it off and setting the faux overlay further back… a complete lazy cheat tbh, I should have recut that piece.
Now, to the pattern itself…
I completely understand the issue some sewists seem to have with Burda.
I am not a sewer that needs their hand held through a pattern… truthfully, I will skim a pattern quite a bit and figure it our without referencing every single word and it still works. Yet, I felt it was as sparse as the recipe of a Great Britsih Bake off technical challenge! Not having pictures also was a bit of a pain in the butt.
Its not a MASSIVE issue, and i do like to challenge myself with my makes, it just seems for a big pattern company that its a bit lazy, skimping on the instructions to just one A4 page. This is especially annoying when you compare it to the masses of Indie Patterns that their creators pour their heart and souls into really good instructions.
Despite that, I hope this blog is a slight warning to the novice sewer… save a Burda for a bit down the line maybe, and know that even if your skills are good, you will skill at some point start tearing your hair our.
Overall, I love this dress, now i have done it once I know what I am doing. I probably wont wear the white as I look kinda like an angel in it, but look forward to keeping this on the ‘patterns that need the perfect material’ pile.
Happy Sewing Everyone