As I have mentioned before, one of the reasons I make my own clothes is because most of the clothes I love and want to wear don’t come in plus size. I am left to either spend forever finding something similar in my size. Unfortunately, I am not too fond of the fit of plus size clothing… they don’t work well on someone with small shoulders, or someone not willing to wear shape-wear on my stomach everyday.
One brand I love is Never Fully Dressed. Fortunately, I do fit into some of their more oversized pieces… others i have no chance, mainly the sized items. One thing I feel in love with, but knew it wouldn’t go near the boobs, was the Leigh Shirt Dress.
Leigh – Never Fully Dressed
Just having pictures as a reference was slightly difficuly, I picked out a few key features: Insert placket, Rolled sleeve and tab, High front/low back and possibly due to the size of the item, some front seams. I drew up in my sewing book a rough pattern guide to get the ultimate flair:
I had in my stash a thin Linen fabric with a slight stretch to it, and being quite hot, I needed to use it.
So How Did it sew…
From the off, I found it easier to cut the back and front out as one piece, instead of using the inserts as planned. This was mainly because the fabric had a smaller width than i had panned. But the measurement was perfect for the flair of my shirt. It was a simple case of cutting the front, laying in on the next piece and drawing the drop from that. so Simple, yet effective.
This piece was a complete Frankenstein monster of different pieces… The collar and placket were from the Kalle I had recently fallen in love with, The arm holes and sleeve were from Merchant and mills the dress shirt. I also borrowed a placket from a Jude I believe it was, for the sleeve. (I will correct in the comments if I am wrong)
After sewing up the piece, I realised that the shoulders (something I hadn’t used the pattern for) were far too big. In fact it was far to big over most of the bust area, so I decided to place some insets in. These were made simply by folding the what i needed and sewing it down. I took it across the bust slightly to give it a better shape. I had to do it twice but I really like the effect. As an added fit, I put in some darts on the back, to balance the low drop back.
Overall, I am so happy wit this piece, I love a good oversized top that I can just chuck on and look great in. I also love having something that covers me for the summer that is light and airy. I have worn this so much over the last months of summer. I am considering another in a thicker cotton fabric to take me through winter.
Hopefully, I will also be able to make one as I had originally planned to capture the beautiful fair out of the original.