Tag Archives: luisa

Made By Me – Flower Dress

I am not completely out of touch with the current high street fashion, although it is everything I sew against! In fact it is where I get most of my inspiration from.  I regularly ‘shop’ without actually purchasing… maybe sometimes!

Since sewing, I have only bought a few items, most I have copied or resorted to copying because they didn’t have a plus size version.   And now I have become really Fussy with what I buy, Not saying that I have been blind to fast fashion before, I just have a lot more time and energy to invest in sewing it myself.  But when i do buy, it is usually something I can’t make, like a band tee or a vintage denim jacket.  Also, most recently i threw out all my old knickers and just bought multi packs from Primark… and some Pokemon socks… some things you just have to buy.

One thing i have seen is oversized low back jersey Dresses.  Mainly in Urban Outfitters and the likes, so I decided to make one.  This ended up being a Hack of a recent Hack (Hackception?)  I redrew the pattern from the cross dress, which was originally a Luisa from Wear lemonade, Just without the button front I added.

So How did It Sew?

Completed:  4th February 2017

For the back I cut the V much deeper than I did on the pattern,  and added a strip of fabric across the shoulders to hold it on. This I cut far too long, I had originally sewn it neatly into the binding, unfortunately it needed to be about a third of the size i measured.  It wasn’t as neat a finish as first attempt, but on its not noticeable. The string ended up sitting much higher than I thought.

I really buggered up the sleeve as well with a blind hem on the over locker.  But luckily I had cut the length ridiculously long and had more than enough to play with and not end up with 3/4 sleeves as I first feared.

The Fabric itself is from Girl Charlee, and had been in my stash quite a while before I finally paired it with this idea.

When I first tried it on I was unsure of the print, I though it made the garment look a little frumpy (keep in mind this was slipped on over my Pjs!)  Once dressed up with a pair of boots chucked on, it was much better.

One thing I am still debating is spraying it with bleach to give it a more contemporary feel (another thing I have seen done a lot on the high street) I love the rust colour tones you get from the process.  Unfortunately I have used all the fabric (only ordered a small amount and the trapeze skirt used up a lot) so I haven’t got any to mess up.

Oh well, I will have to see.

Oh and here is the very bad picture of the back, since that is the main feature of this dress:

20170212_180308_001

Made By Me – Luisa – Wear Lemonade

Today is a bit of a two for one as I will clump both Luisa makes into one blog post.

One brand of Pattern makers I am loving has to be the very beautiful and quintessentially French, Wear Lemonade.

I stumbled into their patterns purely by chance, I fell for the design and the graphics, so i just had to get some.  I am now the proud owner of a Luisa and a Dita.

What I really thought was lovely about these guys was the video accompanying me through my make.  I am a very visual person, so armed with very basic french language skills, I was able to tackle the project much easier than just using the English instructions.  Not that the instructions are not good, they are excellent and have beautiful photographs to support the words, its just my personal preference.  Its a bit like how I like looking at reviews before I buy, I got to see the garment made before i myself attempted it.  Its a nice way to work.

So how did it Sew?

1st attempt: Completed – 25th July 2016

I used a very light black semi sheer fabric that I had gotten in a bundle of cheap fabric on ebay for very little.  It has a soft matte feel and a beautiful drape, perfect for the luisa trapeze shape.

The pattern was extremely simple and I love the finish of the yoke and how neat and easy it is to achieve.  I chose not to add a bow as suggested by the pattern…its an option definitely not for me.

Unfortunately, I was so worried about it not fitting over the bust (which it did just fine) I completely disregarded the fabrics lack of stretch and how it would effect the sleeves. THe arms are very snug… as you can see me awkwardly standing in a picture with my arms to the right.

My next attempt will resolve this and go for a knit jersey…

2nd attempt:  Completed – 23rd October 2016

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This has turned out much better in the Jersey Knit fabric.  I just love the witchy coven vibe from the dark tie dye print.  This version was completed on my overlocker, and Jersey is the way forward with this pattern.  The arms are still tight BUT are actually not a problem and more wearable (as in I can actually move)  I was concerned that the knit would hang to heavy, but this dress has amazing movement when in motion.

This pattern is now my perfect shift dress make. I feel that I could do with a few more colours, and possible experiment with a High polo collar (and maybe lose the yoke) for winter and Christmas version.

Watch this space for more Luisa…