Tag Archives: Victory Patterns

Victory Patterns – Lola Jumper Dress

Well this was a long time coming to completion!

I had cut this pattern and just left it sitting in my to do box for the longest of times… I blame the December madness, it had nothing to do with me not wanting to do it!

The fabric was from my little cheap shop at Watney market, It has been in my stash for quite a while (but not as long as others) I was debating whether to use it for this, or just a plain jumper.  I was concerned that the dots wouldn’t work with the pattern as it has so many pieces to join together.  Being so small it would be difficult to pattern match (if at all)  I took a chance and relied on it being so busy that it won’t notice, and I think it turned out okay for the lack of effort of not pattern matching.

So How Did it Sew?

This is my third victory pattern, but was my first PDF version from them,  I was pleased with the quality of it and how easy it was to piece together.

Completed: December 2016 

This, despite all the sections, is an easy sew. You basically make the top and the bottom and just attach in the middle.  It is easy, but time consuming, even on an over locker, mainly due to the sheer amount of seams and joins, it also takes up a lot of time when cutting.  It can be a bit fiddly lining up all the seems, I was lucky I was consciously being quite neat and not just going with it as I tend to do sometimes (read as: most times…)

I annoyed myself as I forgot to cut the sleeves longer, I prefer a jumper to have a full sleeve rather than a 3/4 length, but I have been wearing all the same, just over some leggings as pictured.  I think for my next attempt I might try a lighter fabric for a more sports lux look.  One thing i would like to hack is a smaller neckline, it was just a little too wide for my liking.

Made by Me – Victory – Anouk

So for my second Victory pattern I went for TWO different shiny fabrics (as apposed to just the most detailed bits in shiny for my Simone) which made it a little more challenging. But hey, I don’t mind jumping in the deep end – it gets the brain working.

anouk_cover1-3391ac9027101ef2e994c61f97ef332537
I went for the tunic style as apposed to the dress, as I am seriously lacking tops, separates in general. I LOVE the belt feature on the dress, and i am really looking forward to trying it out.

So How did it sew:


I tried to copy the design on the front of the packaging. I loved the see through materiel but the grey print was the closest I had.  The black front piece was not as complicated as expected, although I should not have used my over locker for such detail.  What i found my over locker useful for was the thing folds and pleats on the front, something i will do again, instead of with a more traditional machine.   I think I have put the button and button holes in the wrong place, to solve this I may just sew them down and wear it as a pull on item as its not really needed.
I really think that this pattern would look good in a chiffon, made from 3 shades like a peach grey and navy, I think that is how i will move forward with this pattern.

Made by Me – Victory – Simone

I have a rule with shopping, if you wanted it before the sale, definitely buy it. Hence, i am now the owner of two new victory patterns*: the Simone and the Anouk. If you have seen my October makes video you may be familiar with these makes already.  What I love about Victory Patterns is that they, for me, are slightly more challenging with their different shapes and techniques and their unique designs.

So How did it Sew?

Completed:  13th October 2016

The Simone is gorgeous, with it detailed bib and racer back.
I would recommend you do a plain version or toile of this first. I went straight in with a shiny black fabric for all the detailed interfaces parts, Yes it looks stunning, but it was a pain in the Bum for a first attempt. The main part of the dress was a beautiful grey cotton pattern that I had in my stash.

I enjoyed doing the bib, it took some fiddling and folding, but I think it is all worth it for the finale affect.  I still regret that i stupidly cut the grey fabric horizontal, instead of vertical, although it looks great, it would have looked better.  I am a bit of a perfectionist.

I do realise that i made technically a summer item going into winter… which goes against my sustainable clothing /useful makes policy. But as you can see from my pics, i have dressed it up in my coven/witchy style. I can see this under long black cardis.

For something a bit different, and to test the skills of a confident beginner, I would totally recommend you check out victory for a challenge.

*Although I link Victory Patterns, I believe I bought them elsewhere. Although because I am unsure where they were on sale, I have linked you to the main source for the pattern.